09:00 - 09:45 Uhr
In this talk, I have collected 25 soft skills that I decided a tester should have from my personal story. I aim to wrap several skills from different perspectives like communication, agility, problem solving, efficiency and others.
Software testing requires development skills in terms of automation and CI/CD on the one hand and social skills on the other hand. There are tough responsibilities to hold like release management. It looks like we have to be supermen holding all these qualifications. But we are human beings. It is okay to make mistakes. It is okay not to be okay.
When I refresh my memory and consider my whole testing life, I again realize that life is full of lessons. Whenever I think about this, I come up with a saying by John W. Gardner: “Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.” We are all making mistakes and it is not possible to manage each single piece of processes perfectly. Still; what we can remember is, with additional brush strokes, those mistakes can evolve into nice colors inside the big picture. Besides, in the next run, we may take precautions against possible mistakes. In short, after a quick review of my career, I decided that I can collect the required soft skills for a tester.
What I will talk about is:
- What I learnt from my very early testing time: As a junior tester, what I faced? Which ways to act I learnt from those experiences.
- What I learnt from switching projects/products frequently.
- How did I survive in different environments?
- What other aspects did I experience after I was a team leader?
- What were the difficulties raising from working in a distributed organization?
Sometimes testing is underestimated and the responsibility is not understood well. To be able to survive in the next generation testing positions, we as testers have to hold both technical and social skills. After the talk, Attendees will see:
- A summarized set of soft skills, collected from real life scenarios.
- Ways to be prepared for the future.
- Channels to share their knowledge and collect other people’s experiences.
Mesut has BSc and MSc degrees from Bogazici University Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
He has more than 13 years’ experience in Industrial Automation, IoT platforms, SaaS/PaaS and Cloud Services,Defense Industry, Autonomous Mobile Robots, Embedded and Software applications. Along with having a proficiency in CMMI and Scrum & PMP experiences under his belt, he has taken various roles like Quality Owner and Hiring Manager in the QA teams and Chapter Lead in the organization, leading multiple QA squads in multinational projects.